Episode #3 of The IDK Cast! We are binging on Bates Motel & Downton Abbey! We cover our pet peeves, Neat use for Coffee Grounds, Why the Blood Falls are red, & the oldest known condom! was found!
The IDK Cast Show Notes
Welcome to The IDK Cast # !
Recording live from
The podcast that shares what we know, what we don’t know, and asks our listeners did you know?
I am your Host Esme and this is my Cohost Joy!
Today is: May 10th , 2017 !
What have we been up to?
Thrivalist Luminin @Luminin_KJ
@TheIDKCast Those little yellow flowers that were sour, were almost definitely Yellow Woodsorrel. One of my favorite hiking treats!
What we know!
This is where we can : ( Here are some ideas)
- Share something we know: I know that bugs are on there way out of the ground to your home and if you have a bunch of ant hills in your yard . Put cornmeal white or yellow on top of hill the ants will eat it take it back to the nest and as they eat it will absorb the liquid and explode.
- Advice raise your children with respect they will grow up and took what you taught them
- And use it on you when you get to be a senior in life.Raise them in church environment and they will learn much and the whole family will be benefit.
- Something we are: Watching Chondra Perice Christian comedian
- Reading, Watching, Listening too.
- Something we have been working on or dealing with etc.
- Share a pet peeve-Parents who think that they have to be their children's friend.
- Share a favorite quote-The height of the words you speak show the intelligence you have.
- Share a favorite uplifting news story we have come across during the week
- Esme : I am watching Downton Abbey and Im on season 2 and I like it a lot more than I thought I would! Totally up Joys alley imo.
- About the Show
- Downton Abbey, the award-winning series from Julian Fellowes, spans 12 years of gripping drama centered on a great English estate on the cusp of a vanishing way of life. Nearly six years ago, America fell in love with Downton Abbey‘s Granthams and their family of servants, and has followed them through sweeping change, scandals, love, ambition, heartbreak, and hope ever since. With Julian Fellowes’ crackling writing and its stellar ensemble cast led by Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey delivers wit, warmth, passion and a phenomenon that is, at its heart, utterly human.
- My Peeve: Angry Passive Aggressive facebook posts.
- I feel they cause more problems than solutions.
- I wonder how people have to use their social media as a weapon easier than talking to the source of their anger. I find is cowardly and immature.
- I feel It is even worse when people are going off on someone they love that can and will see the toxicity.
- I feel it can lead to broken relationships where people will either assume the post was about them and cut ties with the poster
- or the relationship will fall apart because the person the post is always about will get tired of living in the fear of their every movement being broadcast on social media by their loved one.
- Using your internet followers as an internet Army will not bring peace to your life. It will only alienate those that you love and build walls where there were none before.
- Solution? THINK BEFORE YOU POST People!
- Would you like it to be done to you?
- Ask yourself if anything good will come from your actions?
Listener Pet Peeves:
John You girls seem to have this segment covered :) but one of mine is... trying to get somewhere fast (within the speed limit) but being stopped by every, single, red light. So much so that i may as well just have started my journey 5 minutes late like i usually do. And even then i would be stopped by every, single , red light. Grrrrrrrrr
Yea. This grinds my gears.
Prometheus @Prometheus184 4h4 hours ago
Replying to @ESMERALDA_SKY
Yellow pages, can you stop already? Stop wasting paper! I should sue for littering in my yard! Goes right in the recycling bin...
Did you know?
This is the segment where we ask “Did you know?” and share something cool our listeners might not have known!
Share a news story about a new discovery or an interesting fact about something past or present etc.
coffee grounds are good for plants
wikiHow to Use Coffee Grounds in Your Garden
Two Methods:Using Grounds as a Soil Supplement Using Grounds for Alternate TasksCommunity Q&A
Sick of throwing out cup after cup of grounds after your morning caffeine fixes? With their high nutrient content, coffee grounds can be used to make your garden thrive. They are naturally acidic and high in nutrients like nitrogen and potassium, making them a great choice for alkaline soils or nutrient-poor gardens.
Lots more information at this site also.
- A study conducted by the University of California, San Francisco has found that adequate companionship can help extend and improve the quality of life for the elderly.
- The study was conducted in a group of 1,600 adults with the average age of 71.
- Through the study, it was found that the adults who were lonely consistently held higher mortality rates than those who were not lonely.
- While isolation and being lonely can take a toll on anyone, the study found that it hits extra hard the older we get.
- More or less, the older you are, the more you need these companionships in order to thrive.
- A study http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamainternalmedicine/fullarticle/1188033 conducted by the University of California, San Francisco has found that adequate companionship can help extend and improve the quality of life for the elderly.
- The study was conducted in a group of 1,600 adults with the average age of 71. Through the study, it was found that the adults who were lonely consistently held higher mortality rates than those who were not lonely.
- Even though isolation and loneliness can take a toll on anyone, the study found that it hits extra hard the older we get.
- As a person ages, their social circle inevitably gets smaller and smaller
- Dont let your age discourage you from mingling with younger people or older people “You bring a lot more experience to your friendships when you’re older,” says Rosemary Bliezner, a professor of human development at Virginia Tech. “You know what’s worth fighting about and what’s not
- worth fighting about.”v What are our thoughts?
Scientists have solved the 100-year-old mystery of Antarctica's Blood Falls
- It's been 106 years since Australian geologist Griffith Taylor discovered the vivid red falls flowing from the glacier named after him, onto the icy Lake Bonney.
- It was originally thought to be caused by red algae,
- In 2003 that it was decided the red color came from oxidized iron and water most likely draining from a 5 million-year-old saltwater lake.
- Now a study from the University of Alaska Fairbanks and Colorado College confirms the glacier has not only a lake underneath it but also a water system that has been flowing for a million years.
- The team used echolocation to track where the water flowed.
- It has never frozen because it has a perpetual hydraulic system that sees the heat energy released by water freezing, in turn melting the surrounding ice.
- The Blood Falls is a time capsule for ancient microbial systems and is said to fascinate scientists and give them a way to study the possibility of life on other planets without the need to drill into ice caps. You can read the full report here: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-glaciology/article/an-englacial-hydrologic-system-of-brine-within-a-cold-glacier-blood-falls-mcmurdo-dry-valleys-antarctica/B5C197906AD54619AEA26068AD92989A
What we didn’t know!
This is where we pull 2 interesting facts out of our jar o facts and share it with our listeners!
Joy picked : The oldest condoms ever found date back to the 1640s (they were found in a cesspit at Dudley Castle), and were made from animal and fish intestines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_condoms
Esme picked: The loneliest creature on Earth is a whale who has been calling out for a mate for over two decades — but whose high-pitched voice is so different to other whales that they never respond. More info on the Dudley Castle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Castle